Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Initial Applique Shirt Tutorial

Pin It

Please forgive my absence for the past week.
Between all 3 kids being on zpacks as well as mommy,
life has been a game of "catch up" for the last week.

I just didn't have a moment to get a blog post together.
No matter how hard I tried and with sleep being so important,
I chose that over trying to do another tutorial or post.

With that said, I have this wonderful tutorial.
A follower requested that I do this since she was having problems
trying to do it on her own.

I took advantage of it being Dr. Seuss week at school
and made these cute initial shirts for my triplets.
Let's get to making!
Sewers and non sewers alike can make this shirt.

{click on photo for a bigger view}

Materials:
* Fabric of your choice
* Heavy Duty Wonder Under
* Shirt
* Computer & MS Word or other similar program
* Iron/Ironing Board
* Scissors
* Sewing Machine (optional)


The way I go about making initial shirts is by using WORD ART in MS Word.
I pick the outline word art so that I can just cut around it.
Below is a screen shot of what it looks like.
It does take some tweaking as you go.
For instance, when I figured out the font, the auto font size only went
up to 72 but you can actually type in a higher number.
For the letter "I", I went up to 600 for font size.
I ended up printing it out a couple of times until I got the size just right.



After you print, cut the letter out.


Trace the letter on BACKWARDS.
Below you can clearly see the "S" is reversed.
You must do this so your letter comes out the right way.



Once you trace the letter on, cut around it.
Place on your fabric until you find the perfect spot!
I wanted to make sure to catch "Dr. Seuss".
Press firmly for about 15 -20 seconds.


Rip the backing off of your letter.


Play with the placement of the letter and then press firmly.
Again you will want to iron for about 20-30 seconds.
If you are not sewing, this is it!
Your shirt is finished!


For you sewers, take it to the machine!
You will want to top stitch around at about 1/8".
I used a triple stitch to give it a good outline.


And there you have it!
All finished, perfect for your little one to wear!




Please feel free to share this tutorial with others.
Hit that PIN IT button at the top of the post to put on your Pinterest.
And, we love to see what you come up with!
Share a photo on our Facebook page.

Enjoy & have fun!
{SIG}nature Creations

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...